20.5.13

Waiting on summer


Eric Jr. lost his reading notebook.  In it are pages and pages of summaries he's written for the novel his class is reading right now.  I watched him all last week as he read the chapters and carefully wrote his notes, and now it's gone.  His teacher is mad at him.  We talked before bed about personal organization, and also about dealing with difficult people.  And I reminded him that there are only three weeks left in the school year!

We're planning on making up to our kids all the craziness of our lives this past year- the moving, the screaming-toddler-sister, the late nights working...all of it- with a month in Hawaii.  It dawned on us a few weeks ago, as we noticed all our neighbors making plans to leave town, that one of the perks of being a professor is that you can go anywhere your hearts desire for the summer*.  And our hearts desire to go to Hawaii, not wear shoes, and hang out with sea turtles for a month, so that's what we're doing.

Also- I hear that church starts twenty minutes late in Hawaii...

I may never come home :).

*Just to clarify- Eric has to work in the summer (and work hard, believe me), it's just he doesn't have to teach, and he was clever enough to pick a field in which his research is portable, so he can do it just as easily in a Starbuck's in Hawaii as he can in his office.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I love the picture, and I want to come live with you in Hawaii. :)

E B said...

How wonderful! What flexibility on so many levels! I'm so excited for you! Maybe you can ship your screaming toddler to join mine so you can have some peace in Hawaii.

Lindsay said...

What a cute, cute picture! I think you'll love it there. :)

justbecky said...

Sounds absolutely perfect!

Kate Alexis said...

Precious Memories. I hope to see you again one day and to meet your wonderful family. - Kate